Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Asher Francis Hussey

**********Warning, extremely LONG post ahead********** To my precious Asher,


Here is the story of the day you were born:

I had been having contractions for a few days, but always at night and they always stopped not long after they started. So I didn't think much of it when I was having contractions that night. I had taken a late nap that day and so I was up later then the rest of the house. Daddy had gone to bed and I was laying on the couch watching some television. It was around 11:45 and I felt this pop, I got a bit excited and hurried off of the couch, I didn't want to get the couch all wet if that 'pop' was what I thought it was. But as I got up of the couch I didn't have that gush of water like I did when my water broke with Olivia, I was immediately deflated and disappointed. I figured it must have just been my imagination. I didn't even have much of a trickle, but there was a bit of blood so I crossed my fingers, went back to the couch, put down a towel and waited. Fortunately I didn't have to wait too long because within about 15 minutes the contractions started. They weren't too strong at first, but they were close together. Our good friend Jamie so sweetly offered to come over to watch your sisters no matter what time we had to head off to the hospital. I didn't want to call her right away just in case it took awhile for labor to progress. I also realized that I had a sink full of dishes and there was no way I was going to have someone over to my house with a sink full of dishes!!! I figured that washing the dishes was also a good project to pass the time. And sure enough as I was washing the dishes the contractions started coming stronger and stronger and closer together. At around 12:45 the dishes were done and I realized the contractions were about 3 minutes apart. I figured I should call Jamie and go wake daddy up. Jamie got to the house around 1 and off we went.

We were almost to the hospital when I realized that we had forgotten the camera! I was so frustrated! I tried to get daddy to turn around and head back to the house, but he refused (probably a good idea!) and I realized that there was a Walgreens right across from the hospital so I made Daddy stop and get a disposable camera before we headed on over to the hospital. We finally got to the hospital and went the ER to check in. The contractions were definitely stronger at this point and all I wanted to do was get up to Labor and Delivery and have the Anaesthesiologist pay me a visit! But everything seemed to take forever! It took forever to get me checked in, then they sent me over to Registration (which really irritated me because I'd already pre-registered!). The sweet lady that was registering me was trying to be nice and funny and chatty and I was trying to be patient and friendly back, but I was beginning to get impatient and not snap at her. She finally called for a wheelchair and sent me up to the Maternity ward.

The nurse got me into bed and checked me. I was 3cm. Then I had to fill out more paperwork and answer more questions. It was about 2am at this point the contractions were very strong and I was really wanting that epidural. I had to have an IV in and blood work taken before I could get the epidural so I was anxious for the nurse to get going on that. The poor nurse tried twice unsuccessfully to get my IV in and blew the IV line both times. All I could think was 'are you kidding me!" By this time the contractions were extremely strong and with each contraction I could feel your head coming down and this extreme pressure. I told the nurse this and she kinda blew me off. Daddy very sweetly grabbed my hand and told me that he believed me. :) The nurse had to go get another nurse to come put in my IV and thank goodness it only took that nurse about 10 sec. to get the line in. They had put some drugs in the IV and it immediately took effect. I started to feel pretty woozy. I got really light headed and I could barely even open my eyes. I could still feel the contractions and at this point they were coming one right on top of the other. And with each contraction I could feel your head and the pressure was so strong and I could already feel the need to push. I begged the nurse to check me and when she did I was at 7cm! I was still so drugged up and loopy and I really couldn't open my eyes but I could hear what was going on around me and she left the room, to where I wasn't quite sure but I knew she wasn't in the room anymore.

At that same moment daddy decided he had to go to the bathroom! So there I was left alone, in the room having major contractions, feeling like I need to push this baby out! I called to daddy that you were coming and he needed to come help me! So he hurried out of the bathroom and headed out the door to call for a nurse, a doctor, anyone! So again I was left alone! And let me tell you, you were coming! I grabbed a hold of the bed railings and I had to push! Daddy came back and he could tell I was pushing. He kept telling me to stop pushing until the Dr. came. Yeah ok! I kindly declined his request. The nurse finally came in pulled back the blanket and said yep he's coming and left again! What the....?!!! I still couldn't open my eyes but I could tell that I was being abandoned AGAIN! This didn't stop me from pushing, even though daddy and the nurses kept telling me to stop. I found out later that the reason daddy wanted me to stop pushing was because he was really scared that he was going to have to deliver you himself! He wouldn't even pull the blanket down to check because he was so freaked out! Silly daddy! Well the nurse finally came back with another nurse (no doctor) and they were just in time to catch you as you came out! My eyes were still closed and I was trying to open them up when I heard them call the time at 3:14 am, I was shocked at how quickly this whole ordeal had transpired, I felt like it had been much much longer.

The Doctor finally showed up as they were putting you on my chest. It was amazing to me how many people were in the room AFTER you were born 5 nurses and a Dr. Couldn't get them to come before you born, but they were sure there after! I hadn't heard them say 'it's a boy!' so I quickly opened up your blanket to make sure that you were indeed a boy! I also checked your toes and your eyes and your nose just to make sure you were healthy. And of course you were, you were perfect!! My perfect, beautiful baby boy! You weighed 6lbs. 4oz. and were 18.5 inches long. Shorter then all 3 of your sisters, not as tiny as Olivia, but still a small little peanut.

I think daddy and I were so surprised at how quickly you decided to join us. We got to the hospital at 1:30 am and you were born at 3:14 am! No drugs, no Doctor but I was just glad you were finally here! There was no hiding the fact that I was not a happy pregnant lady and that I was so impatient for you to get here! I also wanted you to be born on July 30th and you were so kind to cooperate!

Asher, we are so happy that you are a part of our family. I fell in love with you the second I laid eyes on you. You are such a good baby. You have yourself on a 3 hour schedule which works wonderful for me! Your sisters just love you to pieces and just want to hold you and help take care of you. We love you so much baby boy!

Love,
Mommy

5 comments:

Erin said...

Wow!! He was anxious to meet his Mama! What an entertaining birth story...I was smiling all the way through it and then teared up at then end. I'm so glad your beautiful family now includes that sweet baby boy!

Congratulations!

Heather said...

At least you weren't out there jumping on the trampoline! So happy for you!

CA Cecils said...

Congrats! He is here! Now make him into that sports star Beau dreams of.

Kerilyn said...

He's just adorable, Lenette! Really with those cheeks but so bitty! I bet you heart just bursts with pride. That's quite a story and quite anight you had. I can't get over imagining you washing a sink-full of dishes while in labor....you determined woman, you! ;-) Keep those posts comin', ya know, with all your "spare" time.

Amber said...

All on your own, you kick BUTT!! I'll have to tell you about Aspen's birth and how the Dr. almost dropped her. I love that you wrote this to him. Quick deliveries are the best. Congrats!! He's so cute!