Tuesday, June 10, 2008

New Hair, New Eyes

With this crazy hot weather I decided that Olivia needed a haircut. So I chopped it off and then had my good friend Brenda fix it up. I have to admit that Olivia cried when she looked in the mirror for the first time, she was very sad that I cut off her princess hair and she told me that 'it looked silly'. I happen to think that it is way adorable and it will grow back so I'm not worried about it. She likes it more and more each day and I keep catching her looking at her self in the mirror and playing with it. I also gave Taryn some bangs because I was tired of her hair in her face all the time. I'm not always in love with bangs, but of course she looks darling no matter what so I don't mind them. . Still a princess in my eyes!
She really wasn't mad, this is just how she was 'posing' for the camera!
My cute girls!
gotta love the gang sign Olivia is throwin' out! My little gangsta!
And this is me :) hee hee!

As for the new eyes, those belong to me! Obviously I don't really have new 'eyes', but it almost feels like it to me. I got a new pair of contacts! I haven't worn contacts in a few years and it's not that I enjoy wearing my glasses, because trust me I DON'T! It's just that my contacts always cost like $300 for a years worth of contacts which just was insane so I just resolved myself to glasses. Well, my eye sight kept decreasing at a rapid rate every year so they did some more tests and discovered that I have this eye condition called. Keratoconus. I think I mentioned before that I have an eye condition. Keratoconus causes this cone shape to form in my eye which puts pressure on my cornea and causes it to bulge out affecting my eye sight. I have it in both eyes, but my left eye is extremely worse then my right. They can't predict how bad it will get, it could stop where it is now and never get worse or it could progress and in that case I would need surgery or in some cases a corneal transplant. There is no way to stop the progression, but this condition does make it hard for regular contacts to be effective or even glass to work. The best thing for my eyes is this special 'hybrid' contact that is a soft and a hard contact combined. So I've been battling with my insurance company to pay for these 'special' contacts for months now (they run from $600-$900 a pair, ouch!). Anyway, yesterday I was able to go and pick them up(after a few visits to get the right fit)! And what a difference this has made. In the last 17+ years I have never seen 20/20 even with contacts and/or glasses and today I am seeing around 20/25 or 20/30. Not quite 20/20, but I am NOT complaining. My Dr. is optimistic that within the next 5-10 years they will have developed a new surgery/procedure to correct this problem. That makes me exited, but in the near future I am just excited to have my 'new eyes'

8 comments:

The Creegers said...

I'm happy you finally have your eyes back! Sorry to hear that you've been struggling with this. Now you have better eyes to see your beautiful family with!:-)

Brenda B said...

Such a cute picture of your girls! I love Olivia's dress...so darling! It was fun watching them and I would be happy to do it again, anytime!

Rebecca said...

That is exciting! I hate wearing glasses. Dan thinks I shoud do the lasik, but I hate the idea of that even more! I'm glad you finally got contacts that work.

Erin said...

Congrats about the contacts and Olivia's new do' is ADORABLE!

Jessica N. said...

I'm glad you got some cool, expensive contacts! And I'm glad the insurance company paid for them. How long will they last?

Lauren said...

Hooray! I'm glad you found me, and your girls are adorable!

Heather said...

I like her hair. It'll be way cooler this summer, especially with the weather we've been having!

all about the girls said...

Cute pics, of course! Congrats on figuring out your eyes and getting the insurance to foot the bill!