Wednesday, October 17, 2007

A Little Annoyed!!

Okay, so I don't usually use this blog to post my personal thoughts but I've had a growing frustration over the last couple of months and today it just seemed to reach that point were I felt the need to get on my soap box. Sorry if this offends any of you, but frankly right now I just need to get my feelings off my chest! So hear goes...
Why is it so hard for people to follow the rules and why do we think that any of us are exceptions the them?!! My first issue is with cell phones. Don't get my wrong, I take mine everywhere, in the car to the Dr. office, and even the library. But if there is a sign (like at the Drs. office or the library) that says NO CELL PHONES, why do people not turn them off. I realize that sometimes we forget, but seriously if your in the Drs. office sitting under a sign that clearly says in bold letters NO CELL PHONE USAGE and you are talking on yours, do you feel like you are exception to the rule? Did they mean everyone but you?! I don't think so, and no one wants to listen to your lame conversation about what you're fixing for dinner, trust me! Or do you realize how annoying it is when you are in the middle of story time with your children, or for heaven's sake at CHURCH in the middle of class and your cell phone goes off!!! Is it that hard to leave your phone in your car or turn it to silent?! For that short period of time do you have some emergency that you need to take that call right away!
We live in a time when our kids are out of control and more then ever we need to be teaching them that there are rules for a reason. We all have to abide by them everyday, they are called LAWS. Now granted some of these laws we have are a little bit over the top or impose on us more then they should, however some of them are for our own good and our safety. Sometimes we have to obey stupid rules or laws in order to keep the ones that really will protect people. For example seat belts (a disagreement my husband and I have) no one should make you wear your seat belt if you don't want too, as an adult you are entitled to take your life in your own hands and if you feel like you are invincible and are safe without wearing yours go right ahead take that risk, but your children don't get that choice, they don't understand the risks and can't make that decision. You hold there lives in your hands and in most cases (not all I know!) a seat belt can protect a child from death.
So what pushed me over the edge today? Well, for the past few days I've been hearing about this stupid Ellen Degeneras and her adopted dog issue. I don't watch Ellen although I do find her pretty funny, and if I was around during the day when her program is on I might watch. But I've been reading the little news snippets and apparently for those of you that don't know she adopted a dog from a shelter, signed a contract stating that if she wasn't going to keep the dog she needed to notify the shelter to let them know, pretty simple right? Well I guess the dog didn't get a long with her cats so she gave the dog, without notifying the shelter to a friend of hers who has kids. Okay so now she's violated the contract or broke the rules! The shelter finds out what happened and takes the dog back. A little excessive I think being that it was a good family and the kids were apparently pretty upset. So here's my problem. She gets on her show and cries about the situation and pleads for the shelter to give the dog back. I am sympathetic to the how the kids feel, however Ellen violated the contract, she broke the rules and sometimes the consequences of doing that is not pleasant. What makes her think that she is above the rules of the contract that she clearly signed. It's not the shelters problem if she didn't read the contract. It entirely rest on her and she has no right to get all of her audience and fans up in arms over something that she caused. Shouldn't she instead admitted that she messed up and there for she and the kids have to live with the consequences of her actions!!!! Seriously people what are we teaching our kids?!
If the sign at the pool says, NO RUNNING...how hard is it to keep your kids from running? If the parking space is for handicap only, how difficult is it to park a few spots away? Don't get me wrong I am no saint, but since I've had kids I realize that as a parent we have a responsibility to teach or children. Our job is to raise upstanding, respectable, productive and law-abiding adults. We are the ones held responsible for how they turn out, no one else is to blame but us. We are their example they look to us, they feed from us, they sponge from us. They are always watching, always taking us in. So do your kids a favor and follow rules, don't lie to them, don't make them lie for you. Let's be the ones to have or children bring this world back to where it needs to be.
Okay so I'm off the soapbox now, for those of you that stuck through all of that Thanks for listening :) I feel better now!

4 comments:

all about the girls said...

I totally agree!! What are we teaching our kids if we tell them to follow the rules, but don't do it ourselves?!

4HessGirls said...

I agree 100%! Our kids learn by example more than by words.

colds1 said...

I hate it when people think they are above the rules!! I hate it when irresponsibility catches up to people and they are suddenly the victim. I hate whining! Ahh, my soapbox for the day. Thanks!

Evie B. said...

Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way, but I disagree.

I've watched the show and various interviews with Ellen on the subject and she really does seem genuinely apologetic. She's taken blame for the issue at hand and is only asking that things be reconsidered, that a rule be bent maybe just a little (and, might I add, not for her personal gain). I really believe her main concern is for the children involved who have become attached to that dog and had done nothing wrong in this situation. Unfortunately, the dog’s been adopted out to another family (and I can only hope, not one who is now seeking celebrity because of the circus that surrounds this issue), leaving the resolution set in stone.

I really believe that just because someone is a celebrity, doesn't mean they are any more perfect than any of us. How many of us out there have misunderstood a rule or two and regretted it later? Just as much as I believe that the Paris Hiltons of the world should pay for drunk driving convictions, I, too think that we can show a little humanity when someone is agonizing over an honest mistake. I sure know that I’d want the same consideration if it were me.

I agree, we set the best example by showing our children what is right and wrong, but we can also show them what compassion and understanding are in action just as readily.

Sorry, my own soap box. :)